I have always liked my alone time. I have only a few friends, but they are close friends. I don’t like big crowds or loud places, and I would rather be at home than anywhere else. I have taken numerous personality type assessments and every single time, the results tell me that I am an off the charts introvert, but I still crave the feelings that come with being part of a community.
When I started “Stories from the Edge of Blindness”, part of my motive was to find a place in the blind community; I ended up finding that and so much more. Recently, I have really allowed myself to become involved both with my own blog and with others. I started reading other blogs avidly and I have found some amazing writers and people through the blogging community. I have found this community to be supportive and creative and intelligent and amazing. I am grateful to be a part of the incredible community that blogging and bloggers have created.
Recently, I was selected by two wonderful bloggers; Ayotunde who writes EINCENDIUM, and Glen who writes, Well Eye Never, to participate in the Liebster Award. I am very grateful to both of them for recognizing me.
Liebster is originally a German word meaning many things, such as “good” or “kind”, but also “valued”. The award is a way to draw attention to blogs under 200 followers, and is given by bloggers to other bloggers. As a nominee, I’m to pass this on to eleven new bloggers. But first I’m going to answer the eleven questions given by Ayo and Glen.
1)What’s your weirdest schooling experience?
My weirdest and perhaps most educational experience in school was the two weeks I spent in the Colorado Rockies with a group of fellow students I had never met before that sojourn. It was quite the introduction to a new school.
2) Where do you intend to be in about ten years time? With who? Doing what?
With my husband, writing and living in a quiet place.
3) If you could go back in time, what will you change?
I would definitely focus more on school. I was a terrible student and that has made life more challenging in ways that could have been avoided.
4) What negativity have you been finding it so hard to get over, and why?
I am constantly plagued by self- doubt. I have always felt that I am not good enough, that I don’t have the right to a voice or to even being alive. I don’t know where these feelings manifested, but I am constantly working to dissolve them.
5) What inspires you the most to write?
The struggles and the darkness inspire me most in my writing.
6) Can you in three lines tell what your perfect picture of love will look like?
In the perfect picture of love, there is laughter, respect and comfort.
7) What movie have you watched, that you benefited so much, you can forget?
A beautiful Japanese film called “Afterlife” It is cinematic poetry.
8) What’s your deepest point?
I feel others pain very profoundly.
9) Have you ever been depressed? How do you get over it?
I have lived with depression since I was a child and the older I get, the better I get at dealing with it; I get help when I need it and I don’t hide from the reality of having depression. I explore my feelings, I talk about them and I face my demons, mostly through writing.
10) If you were to describe yourself with three words, what would it be?
Writer. Loving. Complicated
11) If you could do anything for one day, what would you do?
I would go to Hogwarts.
- What is your favourite food?
Indian food, absolutely!
- If you could set a world record for something, what would you want it to be?
I think it would be the high jump; I would love to be able to fly in the air the way those jumpers do.
- What is your favourite sport?
I am not much of a sports person, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be gymnastics; it’s that flying in the air thing again.
- If you could invite 3 celebrities over for a dinner party, who would it be and why?
Judy Dench; she is an immense talent and there is wisdom in her eyes that I just want to be around for a little while.
Sylvia Plath; she is the writer who made me fall in love with poetry.
Amy Tan; well, who doesn’t want an evening of the kind of genius and magic that is Amy Tan?
- Who would play you in a film of your life?
I think probably Glen Close, but I don’t know why.
- Do you cook/bake?
I bake bread; I love the kneading part because it is so cathartic.
- What is your favourite book?
This is impossible to answer. There are so many books that have impacted my life. A few: Harry Potter (all 7), The Joy Luck Club, Asleep, The Woman in the Dunes and so many more.
- What is your favourite season of the year?
Autumn; it is a season of beginnings.
- What advice would you give to new bloggers?
Read other blogs, and I mean really read them. Find writers and subjects that inspire you and resonate with you. You will learn so much and make friends and your life will be enriched.
- What’s the strangest thing that’s happened to you this year?
Life in my neighborhood is pretty strange every day, so I can’t really pin one thing down.
- Are there any quotes or mottos that you live by?
I wouldn’t say I live by it, but I love it:
Words to me were magic. You could say a word and it could conjure up all kinds of images or feelings or a chilly sensation or whatever. It was amazing to me that words had this power. Amy Tan
This is the part where I am supposed to nominate 11 other bloggers who have less than 200 followers. I have no idea how to tell if someone has 100 or 1000 followers, so I nominate anyone reading this – who has less than 200 followers – for the Leibster Award, and invite you to please put a link to your blog and a synopsis in the comments section. I look forward to reading all the responses and learning more about all of the amazing writers whose blogs I read.
My Leibster Questions:
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- Who are your 3 favorite authors?
- What are you most passionate about in life?
- Are you an only child, oldest, middle, youngest?
- Where is the most beautiful place you have been, real or imaginary?
- If you could visit any country, which would it be?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- Do you have pets? What kind?
- What languages do you speak?
- What is the most recent dream you remember?
- What is one of your favorite words?